John Jackson • Columbus, GA
I’m a public library staffer and an MLIS student who is interested in web development, technology, and libraries of all types. I like to bike, write, build and tinker.
Chattahoochee Valley Libraries
Library Associate • 2015-present
- Planned and led about 6 unique adult library programs per year on topics including chess clubs, job seeking, bicycle safety, and geocaching.
- Circulated library materials using Polaris ILS.
- Regularly staffed reference desk and answered patrons’ reference questions in person, over email, and over the phone.
- Troubleshot and resolved computer errors for staff and patrons.
Web Developer • 2018-present
- Created and maintains a WordPress website: theliteracyalliance.org.
- Utilized HTML & CSS code, web calendars, and RSS & email lists.
- Created and maintains a SquareSpace store.
- Retouched, archived, and published photos online.
- Attended 2018 Public Library Association Conference
- Attended 2018 Georgia Library Association Conference
University of South Carolina
Master of Library and Information Science • 2017-2018 (expected)
- Academic libraries
- Digital libraries
- Library research
- Library management
Bachelor of Arts, English • 2006-2010
- Literature: English, American, Southern, women, postmodern, African-American
- Writing, teaching of writing
Awards and Organizations
- American Library Association member
- Georgia Library Association member
- Columbus Area Library Association member
- Eagle Scout Award
- Customer service
- Polaris ILS and OPAC
- WordPress web design
- Public library programming
- Mac, PC, web, and mobile software
- Team leadership
- Written communication
- Organization and time management