John Jackson • Columbus, GA
I’m a public library staffer and MLIS graduate who is interested in digital library technologies, web development, and libraries of all types. I like to bike, write, build, and tinker.
Chattahoochee Valley Libraries
Library Associate • 2016-present
- Planning and leading an average of 6 unique adult library programs per year on topics including: chess clubs, job search assistance, fitness, bicycle safety, and geocaching.
- Continuing the duties of Library Assistant:
Library Assistant • 2015-2016
- Circulated library materials using Polaris ILS.
- Regularly staffed reference desk and answered patrons’ reference questions in person, over email, and over the phone.
Web Developer • 2018-present
- Worked with client to create a WordPress website (theliteracyalliance.org) that aligns with their goals.
- Coded HTML, CSS, & PHP.
- “Your Library’s First Chess Tournament: From Opening to Endgame.” Programming Librarian, 22 May 2019.
- Attended 2018 Public Library Association Conference.
- Attended 2018 Georgia Library Association Conference.
University of South Carolina
Master of Library and Information Science • 2016-2018
- Academic libraries, public libraries, digital libraries, library research, library management, technical services, collection development.
- Python and R coding.
Bachelor of Arts, English • 2006-2010
- Academic interests include: English literature, writing, and teaching of writing.
Columbus, GA: International Relations & Cultural Liaison Encounters (C.I.R.C.L.E.)
Commissioner • 2018-present
- C.I.R.C.L.E. is a mayoral commission for managing events with Columbus’ sister cities.
- Secretary from 2019 to present.
- Organizer for a student art exchange between Columbus, GA and Kiryū, Japan.
Awards and organizations
- American Library Association member
- Georgia Library Association member
- Columbus Area Library Association member
- Eagle Scout Award
McKinley Creekside Cabins and Cafe • Denali, AK
Food Server • Summer 2015
- Served food to customers.
- Handled monetary transactions.
- Advised customers on opportunities for activities and destinations in Alaska.
Florida Sea Base, Boy Scouts of America • Summerland Key, FL
Kitchen Assistant • 2014-2015
- Supervised kitchen and kitchen staff.
- Planned, prepared, and served meals for 10 to 300 people.
Sales Associate • Spring 2013
- Cleaned rooms and facilities.
- Handled money transactions in retail store.
- Supervised eco-tours and snorkel trips.
- Advised visitors on opportunities for activities and destinations in the Florida Keys.
Green Boundary Club • Aiken, SC
Dining Room Server • 2013-2014
- Served food and drinks to club members.
Skills and interests
- Customer service
- Polaris ILS and OPAC
- Public library programming
- WordPress web design
- PHP, HTML, CSS
- Python, R
- Mac, PC, web, and mobile software
- Team leadership
- Written communication
- Organization and time management
- Bicycles, hiking, and geocaching